Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Need vs. Want

I often think about how blessed I am. I have more than I need. I have the best husband out there, own a wonderful home that is more than big enough for us, have two adorable (and usually well-behaved boxers), have a job....and the list could go on and on.

BUT here is where I let my materialistic desires get the better of me. No matter how much I have, I always want more. I want better decorations for my house, a newer car, nicer clothes, etc. It's kind of funny....the more I get in life, the more I want. And I know I'm not the only one with these feelings. Unfortunately, it's an American mindset. Why do you think America is so far in debt? We spend more than we make because we are not content with what we have.

As someone who budgets religiously, I can say that I will never allow my desire for more to overcome my desire to be wise with money. I really respect those friends of mine who don't own a lot but seem so content. In a way, living minimally seems like it would give you a piece of mind.

So here's my question. What do I need and what do I want? I desire to live a content life without constantly comparing it to others. What makes me happiest?

Some things that make me feel truly rich:

My relationship with God
My wonderful husband
Sunshine
Long runs
A clean house
Coffee

It's funny...when you think about it, you really don't need much :).

No comments:

Post a Comment