Thursday, August 9, 2012

Romans 12:12

Today I've spent a lot of time dwelling on God's plan for each of our lives. Two soldiers (who Josh knew) were killed yesterday. As I've said in the past, this happens on almost a daily basis, but it hits a little closer to home when Josh served along side these guys.

My heart hurts so much for the families of these men, but especially for the wives and children. I always breath a huge sigh of relief when I find out that Josh is safe, but at the same time, I feel a sense of guilt. Why do these families have to go through this unimaginable grief when I have the privilege of hearing my husband's voice or seeing his face on Skype? I wonder why God would take these men who are often an image of what a true man should be...who portray honor, strength, and have morals.

I also think about how these soldiers are honored. Yes, their families and friends honor them, but does it really go beyond that? When was the last time these men made the news or got the recognition that they deserve? They go into the battlefield knowing full well that it could be their last day—yet they do it day after day to protect our country. They have a loyalty and love for our country that is lost amongst most today. It saddens me that these soldiers are not gaining the respect and admiration that they deserve.

I've shed tears for these women who have lost husbands. I hurt for them...even though I don't truly know the pain they feel. 

One of my favorite verses and one that always gets me through deployment is “Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer” (Romans 12:12).

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about Josh's friends. It is sad that people do not respect our soldiers today. We can teach our children to appreciate the sacrifices of those in our military and help to raise a new generation who is more aware of what soldiers and their families give up. It sounds like you need to be involved in an Army wives group. They are the only ones who can truly know what you are going through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ang :). It's refreshing that some people still teach their children to appreciate the sacrifices of our military.

    I do have a handful of wonderful military wife friends. It's a little bit of a sticky situation in the Army though because many of the wives are full of drama and not much support. I'm choosy because I don't need drama while Josh is gone :).

    ReplyDelete