Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Contentment and Comparisons

Do they go hand-in-hand? I believe so...at least in my life they do. I've been struggling with this a lot lately. As soon as I begin comparing my life to others' lives, I am no longer content. I become jealous (or even angry in some cases). Instead of focusing on my blessings, I let myself enter this black hole of unhappiness.

I compare myself to others in lots of ways. My house isn't as big, my cars aren't as new, my job doesn't pay as well....I could go on and on. The one I struggle with the most though is children. I compare myself to other 30 year olds. They usually have a couple kids by now (some are even done having children). Many of them just decide one day to have another child and guess what? They're pregnant the next month.

So do I compare myself to these ladies? Absolutely! I wonder how getting pregnant can be so easy. I know exactly what day I ovulate and almost 4 years later, I still can't get pregnant. But does this comparison make me happy? No. Comparing myself to these ladies only makes me unhappy.

Josh and I are blessed! Are we missing a beautiful thing that could happen in our lives? Yes. But do we have everything we could need? Absolutely. If I want to be content, I can't compare.

No comments:

Post a Comment