Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Running

I like to call myself a runner....although I'm not sure I can truly claim that title.  Maybe my expectations are too high.

I hated running in highschool.  I'd do it here and there, but I really wasn't a fan.  I envied people like my dad and sisters who were able to whip out miles of running so effortlessly.  I wanted to be that person.

Fast forward a few years.  I was in my early twenties and decided that I would make myself enjoy running.  I signed up for a few 5ks which were always fun, but I was SLOW.  My motto was always "slow and steady wins the race".  Come to think of it, that is still my motto.

I ran my first half marathon in 2009.  I was by no means the fastest person there, but there was such a huge sense of accomplishment after completing the run.  It was after that, that I decided that I wanted that "high" more often.  Thankfully, something switched inside of me and I can truly say that I enjoy running now.

Two months ago, I hurt my foot playing volleyball.  I never should have been out there in the first place; my hand-eye coordination is bad....no horrible!  I left the game hobbling on a swollen foot.  I stayed off my foot for two month, per the doctor's orders, hoping that I could begin running again.  Ok, I lied.  I didn't stay off my foot like I should have.  Two months later, and my foot is still not completely healed.  As most runners know, this is torture!  My impatience has gotten the best of me and I've begun running again.

I know.....bad!

Here's to hoping my foot heals soon so that I can accomplish a 5k dirty girl mud run in September.  I'll post pictures of this amazing event when the time comes!


No comments:

Post a Comment