Saturday, April 26, 2014

Some Awareness

So April 20-26 is National Infertility Awareness Week. 3.5 years into this, I think that I've experienced most issues dealing with infertility.

If I was to give a bit of advice in order to bring awareness to infertility, it would be this:

Please don't ever tell an infertile person that you know what they're going through (unless you've been through it). It's one of those pains that no one will know unless they personally experience it. I will say that I've been very aware of what I say around others who are dealing with their own struggles. I personally don't know what most of those people are dealing with. As friends, we should be a loving person, a listening ear, and a compassionate heart.

Please don't tell an infertile person that they just need to relax. This goes along with telling them that maybe they should try this or do that. Trust me, infertile women have tried everything. Relaxing doesn't always work!

Don't try to give your opinions. I can't tell you how many times I've heard that I just need to eat this or take that. Again, trust me when I say that I've tried everything. I appreciate people trying to help, but it's only frustrating when they assume your "issue" will get fixed if you just try what they suggest.

Be sensitive. Listen. Be a friend. That's all infertile women need. They don't need fixes. They just need people who are compassionate and supportive. (Thankfully, I have many of these people in my life!)

__________________________________________________________

And just as a side note, I'm now 30. Yikes! I had a good birthday (although once again, my husband couldn't be there to celebrate it with me). Thank you Army!

My twin brother came out to visit. We visited some breweries, went hiking, and went skydiving. Yep, skydiving. Didn't think I'd ever say that! Oh, and I also did a half marathon.

Some of my best friends also took me out the following week. We started with blowouts at the spa, had dinner at a classy jazz restaurant, and followed that by making soap in Manitou Springs. All in all, it was a good birthday :).



No comments:

Post a Comment