Sunday, January 24, 2016

Pregnancy and Exercise

So I always said that if I was to ever get pregnant, I wanted to exercise throughout the pregnancy. Obviously, I don't have complete control over this, but so far, I've been blessed to be able to work out 5 times a week. The first trimester was a struggle. I was ALWAYS tired and had no motivation to work out. It was also my first trimester that I ran a half marathon (at 9 weeks) so maybe that's why I was so tired. I was running up to 6 miles on week days and 10+ miles on weekends. After that half, I slowed my running down quite a bit. The further I get in this pregnancy, the slower I get. I NEVER push myself. I run where I'm completely comfortable and if I start to feel uncomfortable, I'll stop and walk for a bit. I was running about a 9 min/mile before the pregnancy. Now I'm at a 10:30/10:45 (so that gives you an idea how much slower I've become).

These days, I've been spending a lot more time on the elliptical and bike. I typically only work out for 30 minutes a day. Weekends I'll try to get one or two 4 mile runs in. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to run outside lately...not because I don't want to but because I have to deal with the pregnancy bladder issue! As soon as I start running, I automatically have to pee (even if I literally just went). Little boy bounces around on my bladder, making it extremely uncomfortable to run. So if I run 4 miles, I'm typically stopping at 2 miles to run to the bathroom.

I completely understand that exercising will become much harder the further in the pregnancy I get, but I'm hopeful that exercising can continue. It helps with any stress issues I might have and always makes me feel 100% better.

Here's an update on recent pictures. I feel like I popped right around 21 weeks.






No comments:

Post a Comment